This seriously over-the-top Recto® offers four discreet channels that each house an incredible three modes of hyper-tuned pre-amp expression. Yet as if all this shaping power wasn’t enough, the Road King goes on to revolutionize amplifier design by offering a unique dimension in channel switching: Progressive Linkage™.
This simple yet powerful concept allows you to assign different power amplifiers to each pre-amp channel ...and footswitch between them. You can match any power amp to each channel and create your own fleet of dedicated, all-tube amplifiers from input jack to speaker, from 30 watts to 120. The Road King even lets you assign a choice of speaker cabs per channel!
Colored LEDs on the front panel keep you informed of your channel selection and power combinations. But there’s more to power than wattage and tube types alone. It’s all about the feel. And part of providing a perfect power response is selecting the proper rectifier. This is the device that converts high voltage AC into Direct Current for the power tubes. And two of the Road King’s eight patents cover the rectifier choices available and the way they track.
Choosing Rectifier-Tracking in any channel matches the power harness you have selected to the perfect amount of juicy rectifier sag for the number of output tubes in use. Here’s how it works: When you select one pair of output tubes, either 6L6s or EL-34s, Recto Tracking brings up one 5U4 rectifier tube for enhanced low power bounce. When selecting two pairs of output tubes, both 5U4 rectifier tubes are engaged to support the increased power and retain the dynamic feel. And finally, selecting all six power tubes triggers the tighter sounding, more efficient silicon diode rectifiers to produce an authoritative 120 watts of headroom. And just like the famed Dual and Triple Rectifiers®, you can over-ride Recto-Tracking anytime by merely selecting the Silicon Diodes.
Imagine a bubbly Clean sound, using the incredible dynamics of a 50 watt pair of tube-rectified 6L6s. Now footswitch to the threshold-clean Brit voice on Channel 2, driving a pair of EL-34's for a chiming power clip. Or, if you need alternate clean sounds, set Channel 1 to Tweed and Channel 2 to Fat, choosing power amps for each that best suit your style.
Applying Rectifier® Logic further, Channels 3 and 4 each include Raw, Vintage and Modern modes, just like the fabled Dual and Triple Rectos. But with the Road King you can combine each mode with any of five different power sections. For example, try strapping Raw to a pairing of EL’s and 6L’s for a snarling harmonic spread with British attitude. Or run Vintage, through four 6L6s, to cop the Dual Rec Solo Head exactly. And if you can stand more, hit Modern through all six power tubes, diode rectified, for a new frontier in crushing gain.
These few examples offer a mere glimpse into the incredible domain ruled by the Road King™ with Progressive Linkage™. Take the world tour of classic all-tube circuits from vintage to modern and on into the future. Understand, the Road King IS what modeling technology wants to be. Not algorithm simulations, rather combinations of the original circuits, using the real technology, to create the actual amplifiers.
What would you rather play ...a cyber mock-up? Or a fleet of real, hand-made, all-tube amps. The Road King™ is the new frontier, in authentic tube tone.
KingKontroller™ Twenty four inches of toe-tapping tone control accesses Channels, Reverb, Tuner Mute, Loops and Solo functions. This is one King size, gig-ready pedal!
• Dual Series Effects Loops, include Master Send Level.
All Loop circuitry can be hard bypassed. Run separate processing for Channels 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 or run Delay in Loop1 and Chorus in Loop 2…the possibilities are endless. • Power Status LEDs keep you informed of your pre-assigned Power Tube and Rectifier combinations per channel. Other front panel LEDs show Channel and Loop status.
• A La Mode… Each Channel offers 3 Mode choices. The two pairs of Channels (Rhythm 1 & 2 and Lead 3 & 4) are duplicated so you can use similar pre-amp sounds with different Power Tube, Rectifier and Wattage configurations. Channels 1 & 2 offer CLEAN, FAT & BRIT. Channels 3 & 4 provide RAW, VINTAGE & MODERN.
• Cabinet Switcher, a unique Road King™ feature, includes load protection and let’s you dedicate specific cabs for clean and overdriven sounds. Also works great with split-chamber Road King™ cabs which include separate open and closed sections.
• Built In Variac (patented) lets you further tune the power section to your style. Kick the A.C. voltage down for a looser, scoopier feel or hit Bold for maximum headroom and low-end tightness.
• Tuner Out jack provides a tuner feed: Tuner Mute Switch on the King Kontroller provides a silent tuning feature.
• External Mute jack allows control of the Tuner Mute feature from an external master switcher.
• Improved Channel 1 & 2 now features CLEAN and FAT from the acclaimed LoneStar® - Mesa's best clean ever - along with incredible new TWEED and BRIT modes. These two channels alone make a mighty amplifier.
• All New, All-Tube Reverb also from the LoneStar® is deeper, more lush and ambient and sticks tighter to the notes. Reverb control now rides in each Channel Strip.
• Improved Effects Loops are both Series for seamless interfacing of processing.
• Road King™ Series II Amplifier Head
• Handbuilt in Petaluma, California - USA!
• Multi-Watt™ Channel Assignable Power Amp with Progressive Linkage™ (patent 5,559,469) featuring 4x6L6 & 2xEL34, which allows you to select either 2x6L6, 2xEL34, 2x6L6+2xEL34, 4x6L6 or 4x6L6+2xEL34 for Power Ratings of 50, 100 & 120 Watts! / 6x12AX7, 2x5U4
• Fixed Bias for Consistent, Maintenance Free Performance
• 4 Fully Independent Channels with 12 Modes
Channel 1 =Clean, Fat or Tweed™ • Each Channel features
Channel 2 =Clean, Fat or Brit
Channels 3 & 4=Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain
Independent Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, All-Tube Long Spring Reverb, 5 Position Progressive Linkage Power Tube Select (choices listed above), Channel Assignable Dual Rectification with Recto Tracking™ (Diode or Tube Tracking – Patents 5,168,438 & 7,193,458), Speaker Output Select (Speaker Out A, B or A+B), FX Loop 1 and 2 Select (2-Series Loop On/Off Switches per Channel or Footswitch Assignable) • Output Level Control (over all channels when activated)
• Footswitchable Solo Level Control – Patent 6,724,897 (over all channels when activated)
• Bold/Spongy “Variac” Switch (Patent 5,091,700)
• True “Hard” Bypass Switch that removes FX Loop, Output Level & Solo Level Controls from signal path
• Turner Output with Footswitchable Mute
• Slave Out w/Level Control
• Fan Cooled
• External Switching Jacks for Channels 1, 2, 3, 4, Solo, Reverb, Loop 1, Loop 2 & Tuner Mute
• 9 Button Footswitch (Channel 1, Channel 2, Channel 3, Channel 4, Tuner Mute, Reverb, Loop 1, Loop 2 & Solo)
• Slip Cover
• Dimensions: 10 1/2" x 27 3/4" x 11 1/8"
• Weight: 57 lbs.